Special Issue of Fair Play
Caster Semenya: The Conundrum of Sex, Gender and the Nature of Sport
Jose Luis Perez Triviño (Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alberto Carrio Sampedro (Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona) (email@example.com)
Francisco Javier Lopez Frias (The Pennsylvania State University, USA) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline for submission of articles: September 30, 2019.
Publication date: November 2019.
Languages: Spanish and English.
Fair Play. Journal of Philosophy, Ethics and Sports Law is an electronic journal devoted to the analysis of sport from a philosophical, ethical and legal perspective. The journal is directed mainly at researchers, professionals and advanced students. It is the official journal of the Latin Association for the Philosophy of Sport (ALFiD) and has been indexed in DOAJ and CiteFactor. Its issues are published biannually in April and October.
Call for papers
Fair Play is seeking submissions for a special issue on the Caster Semenya case, the South African athlete whose extraordinary physiology -she is intersex- has raised ethical and legal controversies in the sporting world regarding her participation in women’s athletic competitions. The recent decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has called into question the central pillars of contemporary sports. The following are some of the topics to be addressed in the special issue:
- the segregation between men and women in sport competitions;
- the right to participate in sport;
- the (exceptional) nature of sport;
- the tension between the nature of sport and athletes’ rights;
- the respect for the fundamental rights of athletes and women;
- the ethics of artificially intervening in the athletes’ body; and
- the desirability and suitability of new competitions for intersex athletes.