The “R. Scott Kretchmar Student Essay Award” honors the contribution of Professor Kretchmar to the profession, in particular his devotion and dedication to the many students he has inspired to study philosophy of sport. A three-member IAPS panel will grant the award to an essay of outstanding quality addressing any philosophical issue arising in sport or a related area (games, play, dance, embodiment, or other movement-related activities). The student whose essay is chosen shall present the paper at the Annual Meeting of IAPS, September 5-8, 2018 in Oslo, Norway.
- Any student enrolled in an undergraduate, masters, or doctoral program at conference time.
- To submit the essay students must be IAPS members (membership fee w/o journal is $10 US).
- $250 USD cash prize
- Conference registration
Note: students who receive the Kretchmar Essay Award are also eligible for the Student Travel Award and are encouraged to apply for both.
- Candidates are to submit, by April 16, 2018, a formal essay that addresses philosophical issues related to sport. A separate abstract for the paper is due on April 16, 2018 (see call for papers)
- Essays should be in English, contain original arguments, and not be published or submitted for publication/review elsewhere before being presented at the conference.
- 3,000-5,000 words (not including references). Papers exceeding this word limit will not be considered.
- Text in standard format: double-spaced, one inch margins, font size no smaller than 12.
- Follow the Journal of the Philosophy of Sport guidelines for references.
- The student must be the sole author of the paper.
- Previous winners are not eligible to receive the award.
- The winner shall attend the conference and present the paper.
- Please submit the paper electronically, as a Word document, and blind-review ready through Easy Chair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iaps2018)
The committee will provide suitable feedback to all students who submit essays.